Tuesday, January 3

Love and a Friend

"What did you gather of worth and pride?"
Said the Angel of the Lord.
"Little by skill," the soul replied
"And nothing by the sword;
I lived the span of my years and died,
And I gave when I could afford."
"You bring no more than you took away"
Said the Angel, soft and low,
"Neither fame nor fortune marks your stay
Of toil on the earth below;
And I fancy now you are going to say
It wasn't worth while to go."
"I saw the light in my baby's eye
And I felt her hand in mine;
I treasured her love as the days went by
Though I builded no lasting sign;
Of my time on earth, I should say that I
Had blessings nine times nine.
"And a friend I had who was tried and true
Who shared in my bit of woe;
He wept whenever a grief I knew
And smiled when the hurt would go,
And all that I suffered I'd brave anew
Another such friend to know.
"Oh, it's little I gathered of earthly pride
And it's little I did of worth;
But to sit again at my own fireside
I'd pass through another birth."
"Love and a friend," the Angel replied,
"Are the two great joys of earth."
-Edgar A. Guest

3 comments:

  1. hey, hey!! watch the altitude!! i'll post first chance i get - promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you classify 'A Long December' as depressing? I'm not so sure...I find it to be kinda hopeful.

    Also, I find the line "Then, all at once, you look across a crowded room to see the way that light attaches to a girl..." to be one of the most compelling CC lines ever. What a great way to describe someone who 'caught your eye'...ya know?

    Catching a glimpse of someone...extraordinary-- standing across a crowded room-- that's the pearl in the oyster. And, really...isn't that why we keep opening oysters?

    Yes...I, too, love me some Counting Crows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also...I love this Guest poem.

    I asked you once what poem first made you a Guest fan...In my Theraflu-induced haze, I can't recall your answer. Is this the one? It's fairly familiar to me.

    Anyway...I like it a lot. I find Guest to be a very comforting writer, ya know? Like he's just my grandpa...smoking a pipe and telling me things that happen to rhythm.

    ReplyDelete