Tuesday, April 22

read this

no, seriously, this.
that's my sister-in-law, sharin' (not Sharon.)
anyway this was me response-
what an honest post! (sometimes I hate the way that things sound when on the internet, like I said, "what an honest post" instead of "what an honest thing to say!" which at least sounds more timeless and not so nerdy. I only mention this because I think you know what I mean)
anyway, at Bible study the other night we were studying a passage from "Walden Pond" specifically the part titled "Economy" which is a very-very relevant passage to what you're talkin' about. which was relevant to what we were talking about, Ecclesiastes. and half-way across the world, what my friend Christian was "talking" about in China
so I was getting to the part where Thoreau mentions the "chief end of man" according to the catechism, which we discussed what that exactly is, what "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever" means. put simply I think to glorify anyone, but especially God is to obey. just think about how kids glorify parents, players-coaches, etc.
and to enjoy Him? well we know that doesn't mean to "happy" Him but what does it really mean to "enjoy?"
I think it's all about "now"
it just sounds funny to say "I'm enjoying the past" as I think the past is best kept a reminder, in books, you know- where you keep things that you wanna learn from. and you definitely can't "enjoy the future!" though I could definitely hear that comin' over the loud speaker at Epcot's "World of Tomorrow"
I'm pretty sure someone, and many times, has made the pun "injoy" but I think it's more than just funny. it's true. to "enjoy Him forever" means to recognize, always present, always aware of now. and for the Christian, that means joy whether in the midst of a storm on just soaking in the sun
finally I'm reminded of a prayer that was shared by the pastor of FBibleCD on Sunday, Ephesians 3:14-22
"for this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."
amen.
what's your response?

1 comment:

  1. "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever"

    to glorify God is to obey him
    Deuteronomy 11:8

    to enjoy him is to praise him for everything. recognize him.

    "Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous ones; And shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart." Psalm 32:11

    ReplyDelete